Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

10.21.2005

Blogwarming

Hi, I'm Cirilia, and I'm a knitter. I've been over at Livejournal for awhile now, but this seems to be the platform of choice for most knitters out there, so I made the switch. If I can manage to beef up my HTML skills a bit, this should be a better blog than my last.

For any new readers: I live in the lovely Pioneer Valley in Western Massachusetts. I am shacking up post-graduation with a grown-up Boy Scout and we'd really love a cat or pug or something, but our landlords disagree. I hope be an academic in the field of cultural studies, and I apply to graduate school this winter. In the meantime, I'm a full-time yarn peddler at Webs in Northampton. I've lived abroad for a lot of my life and want to explore even more of the world, especially India, Japan, Canada, Iceland, Austria, Norway, Sweden, etc...

As for as knitting, my Nana taught the basics, but the rest was all me and my library card. I like classic shapes knit in quality yarn. I like wit, like puffed sleeves or high collars, anything that looks like it's taken from another era. I prefer to knit using the methods of my heroines Elizabeth Zimmermann, Maggie Righetti and Barbara G. Walker, but I'm also astonished by the efforts of all the emerging designers on the Internet. This is dorky and Virgo of me, but I'm also concerned with my technique. I've been sloppy in the past and invented methods for doing things, but I'd like to learn the 'proper' ways.

Lately I've been knitting for the store and for the holidays, which leaves little time for any 'fun' knitting. While I'm not fretting about my upcoming GRE test or working at Webs, I'm working on a design to submit to Knitty and an article to submit to another favorite magazine, Bitch.


That's it for now, I'll be back soon with pictures!

Skrilla

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere (again).

7:29 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Welcome to Blogger. I hope you enjoy it more than Live Journal.

Between school, Webs, knitting, and design, you are quite the busy gal!

Amy

8:31 PM  
Blogger Dena said...

Congratualtions on getting the new site up and running. And thanks for helping me at Webs yesterday. I felt a little bad walking in right before closing. I'm well into the sleeves of my Misti/Indulgence sweater. Hopefully I'll have a new warm sweater to wear next week.

5:12 AM  
Blogger skg said...

hey! love the new setup! very nice and fitting to who you are, i think.

and don't worry. we're all dorks.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Maeve said...

welcome to your new home! :)

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on moving! Looks great :o)

11:37 AM  
Blogger skg said...

p.s. saw you liked hedwig and the angry inch. one of my favorites too! i saw something at pride and joy that there's a sing-a-long to the movie somewhere in noho on the 28th. i totally want to go!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey Cirilia! Welcome to blogger. I have had your old blog on my bloglines list for a while, because you have knitted some amazing things and I like to read about your WEBS adventures. I really love your Klaralund, especially. You're the only one I have seen who knitted it in a size that actually fits you (most of the ones I've seen are way, WAY too big), and it looks fabulous on you! I think I may have to try it myself, using your fake-it method, except I don't know how many yards I might need.

Well, hope you like blogger. I do, now that I have gotten used to it (I used to be on typepad but I couldn't see paying $$$ for my blog when I could spend it on yarn instead).

2:10 PM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

Welcome! I'm on LJ now and have been contemplating the move too.. Can't wait to see more of your knits!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home