Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

10.25.2005

Today was entirely gray and rainy. Which doesn't bother me one bit =) The bad weather is due to a hurricane named after a knitter (Wilma Flintstone), so how can I be bothered by it?

With store credit I got a few things today, totally guilt-free shopping. More Burly Spun to finish the Twinkle-esque tube, some Classic Elite Lush for the amazing Knitty surprise that happens to match my footwear and taste in knitting bags. My fondness for skulls isn't a pirate thing. I'm half Mexican, so it's partially a Day of the Dead thing, and also a little poison bottle warning.

I am tenatively teaching a class next semester for the popular Lelah top by Christine at Knitting for Boozehags. As a lady who knits in bars and attempts Fair Isle under the influence, I fully appreciate this blogger. The education coordinator asked for something youthful and this top is it. It's beautiful, and offers the opprotunity for a lesson in knitter's modification/math, which is something I fully encourage.

The Boy has a fantastic new hobby--he applies his incisive Aries judgement and killer taste reviewing new music for WMUA, the UMass Amherst radio station. Right now we're making fun of a bad Kelly Clarkson knock-off.

I mentioned in my last post that I'm working on a design for Knitty. This new blog coincides with an attitude shift. I had always thought (cynically and egotistically) that if I couldn't contribute something entirely novel to the pattern lexicon, that I shouldn't bother at all. It has to do with my persistant suspicion that there is nothing new under the sun. I studied this concept in college, and even taught a colloquium on it, but it did nothing to make me feel better about my odds of being a designer with Something to Say.

Anyhow, recently a few things have happened to push me over the edge. I kept saying to myself "I could do that!" when I saw new patterns and I suggested a key modification to a pattern that is actually going to be on television soon. When I heard that, I realized that I could absolutely be contributing to the massive design collection, and that it was silly to slight myself before I'd even tried.

That's it for now, I've miles to knit before I sleep. BTW, thanks for all the kind welcomes, everyone.

CR

2 Comments:

Blogger skg said...

I think you are going to be a great designer b/c you have such a discerning eye and you take into account every aspect of a project: yarn (color, drape, content) as well as the construction of the garment, how easy/hard it is to do, how it will actually look on, and you are constantly looking at what others are doing, so you have a good idea of whats out there. you also have a unique style all your own, and that will lend itself well to your work.

can't wait to see the vogue sweater. i think it's going to be really pretty.

6:55 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Oooh...Lush...one of my all-time favorite yarns.

You could totally design. I can't wait to see what you create. You and I have very similar tastes in knitting, so I'm going to love whatever you come up with.

Amy

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home