Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

11.02.2005

20 points for Gryffindor!

So I had a day off and decided to be good and nerdy. I ended up listening to a first-rate podcast about the Harry Potter series. It is produced by a theologian and contains a lot of great theorizing about the parallels between the books and other classic tales of heroism (the Bible, Star Wars, the Matrix, Greek mythology, etc.).

After about 7 'episodes', I was in a Hogwarts tizzy, and I went over to Mugglenet to look at studio stills. I'm in Alison's Weasley-along, but haven't made any progress on mine...in fact, I frogged the entire front after learning that my intarsia method wasn't the brightest idea in the world. I cut the yarn at each color change and didn't carry it up to the next row. The lead to many, many ends, and pretty loose edges on my 'R'. I wasn't happy with it. My back up plan is that I'm going to knit it top down, probably in an all-night frenzy before the film opens. Since I lost some yarn in the frogging process (weep!) I have even less of what was already a small stash of a discontinued color. So this will be an interpretation of a Weasley...it's going to be a saucy Weasley. As for the letter, the Sorting Hat says..."DUPLICATE STITCH!!"

This picture makes me want to knit up one of Alison's HiP scarves:

I saw this extremely exciting blanket that I think knitters are going to go ga-ga for. Look closely--those are all SWATCHES!! Thank heavens for my ever-growing scrap pile.

The last thing that caught my eye was this picture of Hermione in her ball gown. It's tres pretty, and I might have to interpret it in a knittish way...

I'm off to Sleeve Island, with a possible stop at Noro Beach.

Cirilia

1 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

Great pics! And hooray for being an HP nerd! ;0)

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home