Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

2.14.2006

Go West, Knitter!

EDITED UPDATE! Steve took one look at the apron I made for Stitches and said "you better have a pattern!" I didn't feel right writing one, but here are the details:

The pattern is the Rose Again Bag by Bags by Mags. The purse was cute, but it was that impractical size that you only use on Hot Dates when you are hoping to fool the guy to into believing that you don't usual carry Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, 3 days of the Wall Street Journal, design notebooks, measuring tapes, 19 lip glosses, bags of trail mix, 6 works in progress and other necessities in a giant, (though adorable) backbreaking satchel. No, you're the type of girl who only needs cash, gum and a fancy compact, all in a sparkly, postage stamp sized trinket of a bag.

I cut it up and converted it into this:

If you have the pattern and want to make an apron from the get go, I'd say only make the front and back panels. The aprong "strings" could be anything, fabric, i-cord, ribbon or narrow lengths of garter stitch.

I edged it with Cash Iroha left over from my Clapotis, using shoddy blanket stitch. It sort of ruffles and flares which I'm going to not iron because it seems apros pros for an apron..on (hah). I suck at embellishing, but I am working on it! I sewed two sets of large snaps on the handles, and also put a ribbon inside that I could hang pens on or put my little notepad in, to keep everything from settling at the bottom. The flower has some bead pollen, which I love.

It holds my knitter's helper arsenal! And Dena, you'll love this, the Hello Kitty thing is a calculator! Very necessary.

Now, I'm off to Santa Clara! Can't wait to meet West Coast knitters!

CIRILIA

4 Comments:

Blogger Dena said...

Love the bag, but what's the Hello Kitty device?

9:14 AM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

I agree with Steve. We should talk....

5:50 AM  
Blogger laura said...

I love the bag as well! it's fab!

Have fun at stitches west, I am looking forward to stitches east this fall as it will be in my neighborhood, there is no reason I shouldn't go!

7:50 AM  
Blogger skg said...

have an awesome time at stitches!!!

sorry i couldn't stop by on saturday, my last minute moving took a lot longer than i'd expected.

i went to my first non-WEBS store today. i think i cried a little inside. but the store i went to had SO MUCH malabrigo in SO MANY colorways we didn't carry. i got this luscious pink/red variegated colorway called, "intensive love." i'll make sure to post a picture :-)

miss you all at the store! tell them i say hi!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home