Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

3.18.2006

Frantic puppy=me!

Back from Burlington! The show was really nice, but I'm partial to seeing Ben and Lara at the Iron Horse, it's just so creaky and comfortable. He played lots of old songs, a Don Henley cover ("Forgiveness") and some amazing new songs, all very exciting for an old fan. "Grandpaw Would" was really the album that made me a huge fan, so hearing him play"How Can That Be?" was a thrill.

I was just starting to think that I should maybe give the Huge Groupie act a rest, for poor Eric's sake, but after the show I was totally up for going to the New York show at Irving Plaza. When I went to the blog to get tickets I noticed that new dates had been added, INCLUDING one at Smith College! So basically, I'll leave work and be in heaven shortly after. It's May 2nd, the day after all of my designs are due at work, so hopefully I'll have some success to celebrate.

This year's (quarter's, really since I see him so often) school portrait:


Not quite as good as last year's!

I spoke with Lara after the show, who was so entirely lovely (Hi Lara!). I always bungle my words when I talk to Ben but Lara puts a nervous fan right at ease. I was thrilled to hear that she is a knitter, and she was wearing a very cute beaded scarf-ette that a friend had knit her. Apparently, Ben sent her a link to my little blog! I had a dream after the show that Ben unwrapped my present to find a pillow with no stuffing, just a limp sack like object. I was really embarrassed...I think this has to do with how flustered I get when I say hello. I actually asked him what channel the Commonwealth Games were going to be on in the States (in real life, not my dream, unfortunately). Sigh.

We spent the next morning at the Magic Hat Brewery and Kaleidescope Yarns. The brewery tour included a talk that traced the tastes of Americans. "Mass production was the mark of postwar progress," they said but the pendulum is swinging the other way, and their success affirms this. Did I mention we got to taste many lovely ales? It was fun, and free. We also stopped by the Ben and Jerry's factory, but I didn't see any exhibits about the triple bypass...

I really didn't want to get any yarn at all but this skein of Canadian-made Koigu (color #800) was calling to me. It looks like an African Violet under a black light, it's too beautiful. Eric says this doesn't capture the color well, I have to agree. A cute lady jokingly called me a "yarn slut", she wasn't off base at all.

Time for a Sunday.

Cirilia

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

That's awesome that he's playing at Smith! He was just at BU last week, as I'm sure you know - I meant to ask you if you wanted to come here and have me sneak you in (d'oh!) but I'm glad you got to see him in Burlington.

1:45 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

It is so cool when you get to meet someone you really admire. I especially love the fact that you give him knitting.

Amy

5:19 AM  
Blogger skg said...

glad to hear your trip was wonderful. i myself am in chicago at the moment, taking a break off of temping to have a mini-spring break. went to a gorgeous yarn store today called knit 1, where i bought a gorgeous natural brown skein of baby alpaca (alpaca with a twist is the brand) it's delicious, but alas, i have no size 6s with me...

3:53 PM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Have a very important question for you, if you can email me at melissaknits -at- yahoo -dot-com....I need your assistance, you could become fame-oose!

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home