Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

4.10.2006

Look what Mrs. Weasley made me!


This thing was supposed to be done for the premiere of Goblet of Fire...oh well, at least it is done now. It's very comfy, but I only had a few balls of the yarn (Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran Tweed) so I was skimpy with it, but didn't need to be. For instance, this thing has quite the wide boatneck. People seem to like it but I think it's weird. I worked at a much larger gauge than I would've liked to (to conserve yarn) and the duplicate stitched letter R reflects this. The first few attempts looked very drunken, but I now I think I've settled on charmingly homemade, which is what the Weasley sweater is all about, right??

Just a simple top down raglan, the colors are Heather (main color) and Bramble (contrast). I'm tickled to have such a nerdy garment.

In about five days I will have a solid answer about graduate school. It'll be nice to know, at last. Until then, I'm taking it easy, very very easy.

Eric is off to California to give a presentation at an engineering conference, a.k.a. the Science Fair for grown-ups. He said "if I don't win a blue ribbon, heads are gonna roll!"

Next for knitting? I am close to finishing Eric's birthday Aran, if I hurry on it it can be his blue ribbon. I have to knit a couple of things for the store before May 1 and a few hats for friends. For myself? Well, I have been watching the 1995 (BBC mini-series) version of Pride and Prejudice and I have an immese desire to recreate this look:

Classic Elite Skye Tweed is on sale at Webs and I have set aside the perfect orange. This fits into Project Spectrum! The pattern I will use is Stefanie Japel's Forecast, with most of Winnie's modifications, and most likely a different cable insert. All I can say is, I'm pretty stoked. I feel like a Jane Austen fan shouldn't use words like "stoked", but whatever, I do what I want!

In addition to this, I am starting a top-down class on Wednesday and my teaching aid will double as custom-made sweater for my friend Kyle. I'm nervous! He wants "stripes and autumn colors" and I've already overwhelmed him with questions.

It's time to hang out with the boys...

Cirilia

5 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

hey! awesome sweater! :) i love flecked yarn....

you should also check in to the forecast KAL when you get started on the orange skye tweed. good luck with the grad school thing!

successfully de-lurked, christine :)

8:08 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I'm feeling the love for all of the romantic knit patters out there right now. That one will look great on you.

Amy

5:05 AM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

Do you own the movie or did you borrow it?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I just cast on for Forecast in a great shade of yellow - so we're both Project Spectrum compliant! I'll try to make it to both Webs events you mentioned - I just took a formal leave of absence from school (it's a GOOD thing) so I have a ton of free time :)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Huelo said...

you should wear the Weasley to work if you haven't already. I think it's so cute, it's all I can do not to start one right this second.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home