Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

5.23.2007

Ahhh...

I recently decided to start going to therapy again as I'm smack in the middle of a quarter-life crisis. One of the screening questions was "Do you have trouble getting rid of things?" and I actually laughed when the analyst asked it. I LOVE getting rid of things! In fact, there is nothing more cathartic for me than emptying old Tupperware, recycling old magazines, shredding old schoolwork and making piles of clothing to drop off to the Salvation Army. Whenever I go on any sizable shopping trip I feel like I have to get rid of some older stuff to maintain equilibrium. A lot of old shoes have had to go to make room for the summer beauties! The Remix shoes have yet another fan, this time an actual fashion editor. Blueprint magazine is my new favorite, full of DIY projects and witty advice.

I'm moving into a new place for the summer (really close to work!) and I've been chucking stuff left and right. Some of you might be horrified to know that I'm not above donating or just plain tossing handknit items. Moving means facing the stash (no, this isn't all of it!) and I've mentally 'let go' of a lot of projects.


I usually follow Jean Railla's advice in Get Crafty for cleaning out my closet. It's very common sense advice (toss it if it's damaged or worn out, not flattering, unused, illogical for your life, or if it causes low self-esteem/discomfort) but it helps to have the pep talk. While I seem pretty spendy, I'm dead cheap when it comes to clothes so I usually have a fair bit of thrift store/clearance rack flotsam to toss and I force myself to do it often.

As for knitting, I have to accept the fact that grey stockinette will probably see more use than crazy Noro (I can always knit blankets out of it...). I really agree with Stefanie's post about not really loving the outcome when knitting from published patterns. I'd like to start designing from the ground up a lot more. That said, I think there is still great inspiration out there. These were some of the things that caught my eye in the summer Interweave:

Little Smocked Top:

Josephine, especially the sleeve detail:


Bella Blouse, free online:

Another bit of Gaughn greatness:

Lacy Yoga Bags:


Spiral Boot socks:
And just like last time, some pretty tempting ads! I love Tulip from the summer Rowan:

And the latest offering from Blue Moon Fiber Arts:

Over and out,

CR

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger tiffany... said...

i, too, love getting rid of things.
it's becoming easier and easier for me... thank goodness.
when's the move? and which street?

4:15 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I've been known to thow out handknit items too. If I hate how they turned out, I toss it.

Amy

5:01 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Wow - I remember having a very difficult time when I turned 25. I kept thinking "I am a quarter of a century". A good friend of mine had a hard time too. It is a strange thing - sounds like you are working your way through it.
It will pass!

I love the Twisted boot socks.

3:41 AM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

25 wasn't so bad for me--I was in Prague, doing exactly what I wanted. I think 22 and 27 were harder.

I'm the *exact* same way about acquiring & getting rid of things. I hate having a closet full of stuff I don't use or yarn that's been sitting for more than a year. So I'm really good at getting rid of things--I almost always have a donation bag in my closet (it's a walk in) so that when I'm disgusted with an item, I don't have to go far to chuck it.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ohh you should try freecycle.org. I get rid (and find some pretty cool things) on it.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home