Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

6.20.2007

Let's get ripped.

I've been knitting a lot lately. If this semester was about collecting yarn this summer is about knitting it up. I find it hard to sleep in the summer so late-night/early A.M. knitting is the name of the game. I'm re-watching some gems, including the LOTR trilogy and Clarissa Explains it All.
I WAS Clarissa growing up, from the crazy ensembles to the mom enforced tofu and brewers' yeast laced diet. The only trouble with my knitting is that it's been a total RIPFEST. Things are going wrong left and right and to be honest, I haven't minded the ripping one bit. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Next in the to rip pile is Coachella:


I tried it on this morning and the armholes are reeeeeeeeeeeallly right. I think Suede might stretch a bit but I was planning to neaten the edges with a crochet border but that would make it unwearable at this point. I'm planning to lengthen the racer back strap and change the rate of increases before re-joining in the round.

Also ripped, a store sample, Grumperina's Art Deco Beret (pre-beaded chart knitting, so no big loss):

Knowing myself I didn't knit a gauge swatch (ahem) but just dropped my usual needle size. This made the cool (tubular-ish) cast-on ribbing too small by a few inches.

Also being ripped a decent amount for minor tweaking is Bamboo Grove, a cleverly constructed top-down henley in the works for the fall catalog. Kirsten in customer service is the queen of top down!


Last but not least...my summer job rules. People ask me if I'm getting sick of yarn and the answer is "HECK NO." One of my tasks is writing descriptions of nwe yarns, which puts me in a really good mood. After awhile you sort of feel like you've seen it all and it's easy to slam a yarn or pattern book but the description writing requires a sort of Pollyanna, best case scenario outlook. It carries over to other things, which is awesome! Oh, and today I arrived to find a big sack of new Rowan yarns on my chair. There are some fantastic new colors of Kracksilk Haze and one of Kid Classic that I'm over the moon for. Kidsilk Aura (the heavier version of KSH) promises big things, and it was a long time coming. So many patterns for KSH start "with yarn doubled..." Love the fabric is produces, but it can be annoying.

Speaking of color, I've been obsessed lately. This day at the printers only added to it! This is Kathy and Penny checking color accuracy with total focus!

This was so fun, it was straight out of another childhood favorite, Reading Rainbow.



Rememeber Color Me Beautiful? I'm trying to purge my closet (and yarn stash) of colors that don't agree with me and I've finally submitted to reading this book. According to some online quizzes I'm a Deep Winter! I can live with that =) I hope this Shi Bui color will be okay. If not, hey, it's for feet!

CR

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger s.i. michaels said...

Why am I not surprised that I'm an autumn?

I can't wait to see your version of the beret. The color and beads look lovely.

10:45 AM  
Blogger MelissaKnits said...

I loved Reading Rainbow. Almost as much as I loved Wishbone. And Mr Rogers, when he's take you to see cool things like the sweater factory. When my kids got too old for PBS shows, I could have cried.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

NOOOO I'm missing new Rowan :((( Damn you, justice system! Bummer about Coachella, too. Good thing you didn't buy enough for a second one at the same time, I guess?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I LOVED Reading Rainbow and Clarissa! Clarissa used to be on all the time and I would watch it over and over and over again.
Alas, I was never as cool as her :(

6:13 PM  
Blogger tiffany... said...

ha ha... i love clarissa... ferwad was such a doofus.
i have to say... i knit to pete and pete and freaks and geeks...
but, not lately... .i, still, have yet to find a summer knitting project. my sewing machine has taken over and my knitting needles and yarn are staring at me like i'm evil... dang!
i'll have to pass through webs soon... my yarn stash is not inpiring me these days...
perhaps, i should spin some...
oh... summer... how cruel it is to give me longer days and no oomph to do anything with this extra time...

anyway... i, myself and am autumn...

8:45 PM  
Blogger Huelo said...

you know what's delicious? popcorn with butter and brewer's yeast. Mmn. I'm a summer ("violet undertones"= dark circles). Apparently, the "warm colours" in the scarf I just posted "are not suitable for the woman of summer." F**k that s**t.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

You know it's the sign of a good knitter if you're also a good ripper!
I've been doing that a bit lately too. Although I have had the satisfaction of playing swatches with my recent purchase of yarns at webs....fun because I'm just trying out a bunch of different patterns from Barbara Walker.
Your job sounds like a lot of fun.....so great to be able to get the inside scoop on stuff...thanks for sharing!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Ackkk.... I LOVED Clarissa! I need to add that to my netflix queue! Here I thought I was the only one who had daily shots of aloe vera juice and wasn't allowed to eat refined sugar til I was 10!

Sorry your WIP's havent' been working out! I can't wait to see the beret!

10:25 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

i feel like my knitting has been a total ripfest lately also. it feels kind of good though, because i'm learning from those mistakes and finally swatching, which i NEVER used to do. eep.
i'm purging my closet of all my unflattering bits this week too. i just chopped 6+ inches off my hair so i figured i should neaten up the wardrobe a bit too.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Aack! I still feel bad I made you rip some of the brown sweater, C. I couldn't ask for a better test knitter. I've just got to get my little designer head in the game!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Greeley said...

Ha, Clarissa! We just watched Pete and Pete on dvd a few weeks ago.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home