Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

9.09.2007

Gallery Jacket!

Phew, I can post a finished object! The new Valley Yarns catalog is in the store which means it's also making its way to everyone on the mailing list. In it you'll find the sweater I mentioned in my (woefully pictureless) last post. This is something I designed and knit for Valley Yarns Sheffield, a gorgeous new yarn with amazing colors that feel new for Valley Yarns--deep teal, espresso brown, etc. This is the Gallery Jacket, named for Arts Night Out, a Northampton institution that I have sadly never participated in (Mexifest ladies, maybe on the 14th?)

Tell me, what is wrong with this picture? Why should you never trust the "I'm just fixing my hair pose"?


Because the great Maggie Righetti says you shouldn't, in Chapter 1 of "Knitting In Plain English" titled: You Can Always Tell What's Wrong With a Garment By The Way a Model is Posed, or Slender Five-Foot-Ten Inch Models Look Good in Anything. See for yourself!

The "problem" in this case is the sleeve. I intended this to be a long sleeved sweater (full-disclosure, I was trying to recreate this sweater, purchased at a Marshall's, no discernible designer) with a modified drop shoulder. I couldn't knit the twisted ribbing fast enough and was on a somewhat scary deadline for a relatively slow knitter. The twisted ribbing takes FOREVER, but I really think it was worth it in the end.



Back to the point, I decided to pick up stitches and knit down in the round, so that no matter where I was when I ran out of time, I'd a least have a sleeve! I got about 2.5 inches done on both and tried the thing on. Somehow I forgot that the beauty of a drop shoulder is that it forms the top of your sleeve! It looked just fine with the stubby sleeves, in fact, many people thought it would've lost cuteness had I continued knitting.


The Sheffield is quite warm so it was actually nice to have a mostly bare arm. I've tweaked the pattern and incorporated some decreases to take care of the pooching (technical term?) that occurs under the arm in these pictures. I think that would've been weighted down with a longer sleeve, but here it's a bit obvious. A short row cap sleeve would've been nice, but I still have my training wheels on when it comes to designing!

One last note--this was modeled WET--I blocked it about 10 hours after I finished it and in a humid July, the water barely budged. When the sweater dried it looked a lot less saggy under the arm area, I promise. It'll be in the store and again, the pattern was revised after knitting. I'll have to test knit a second version when more Sheffield arrives because I really want one of these in my wardrobe.

CR

P.S. The shawl pin in the catalog pictures and the design inspiration picture is the same, made by Moving Mud. I think I might purposely design sweaters that require these, they're beautiful!

P.P.S. More credits, the most important: these pictures are the product of Penny and David Michalak, a local couple who between them have too many design related talents to list!

Labels: , , ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1) thanks SO much for the invite EONS ago for a night out in the valley. We ended up staying an extra night in Maine and did the whole 14 hour drive on Sunday, so completely bypassed Mass! It WILL happen one of these days, though!

#2) The photo shoots are beautiful! I can't believe I saw you the day you did them. The sweater is definately gorgeous. And I don't see the sleeve as a problem at all, and while normally completely adverse to drop shoulders, I agree that this one works perfectly for the style and looks great in the short sleeve. I can't wait to get my magazine!

p.s. Deosn't starting school again SUCK?

7:04 AM  
Blogger Peacock Chic said...

As always you and you knitting photograph beautifully!! i really like the design and think you did a great job. I am always extremely impressed with the full disclosure. It make me want to knit it even more knowing the designer has the knitter best interest a heart

Great Job CR!!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

It's really, really cute! Great job. I like your piece better than the inspiration piece :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Anushka said...

that is one beautiful top.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

I love it Cirilia..looks really cute on you too! Yes thanks for filling us in on how the whole process went. It's really interesting to hear how the whole process went...it would be cool if we heard the back story more often from designers...they can't all flawlessly execute their ideas into finished garments surely?!

8:12 AM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

so pretty - i'm glad you stuck with the short sleeves. Gorgeous photo styling too!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

That is adorable

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks fabulous too - I can't blame you for wanting to make a version for yourself!

*melanie from www.meli-mello.com

10:45 AM  
Blogger earthchick said...

Completely freakin' fabulous. You did a gorgeous job!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Wow - that is fantastic!

I think it must be impossible to take a bad photograph of you - and your knitting.

Great design - chic and versatile.

12:52 PM  
Blogger The Amy said...

That's gorgeous!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Amanda Cathleen said...

Fantastic sweater! Honestly, I didn't even notice the poof under the arms. I still don't see that big of a poof. Lovely sweater, I love the collar!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

It looks amazing. I really like it with the shorter sleeves also (good thing that you ran out of time ;)
Definitely interesting to hear about the process.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Tina - omme i London said...

Sleeves or no sleeves, this jacket is cute! Well done, you.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I agree with everyone else. Your design is gorgeous!!! I don't see a problem with the sleeves at all.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too cute for words! I really want to check out Valley Yarns, and Sheffield sounds like a great start. Dirty little secret time... I am super jealous of your job! Surrounded by yarn, designing your own pieces, AND modeling them (beautifully!)?! That's the perfect combination, I think!!

Susannah

7:54 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

it's beautiful cirilia! i think it's perfect with short sleeves.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Love it love it love it :) And I can't wait to molest, err...feel, that sheffield in person!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I love that sweater--I'm definitely going to have to make that one. Very cute!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

It looks wonderful. Thanks for the in-depth analysis of the sleeves too! Waiting for my new catalog! :)

7:39 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

I love it! Congrats!

Also, I never did read Knitting in Plain English, but now I really, really want to. :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger maceknits said...

I like your sweater pattern. It's definitely something I can wear during the Fall season here in Northern California. It's not so chilly that I'd need the long sleeves. Cute design!

11:30 AM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

I love this sweater!! I've been checking the Webs site for the pattern and yarn since I saw it. The perfect work and casual sweater.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Great sweater!!! I love the moving mud pin! She makes such great stuff! I might just need to make one of these to use my pin too!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I absolutely adore this pattern. You did a marvelous job, and truly, it's the sleeves that make this one.

8:58 PM  
Blogger florencemary said...

Cirilia, you are a very clever girl! Gallery Jacket is totally wonderful, but even more so because it's modelled on you! (If it was modelled on me, then every one would have been very polite, and then quickly scuttled away.)

And thank you for your comment on my blog!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Gorgeous sweater- I ordered the pattern today and I was scouting out yarn this morning- can't wait to knit it! Way to go- no doubt this will be a hugely popular knit! - Julie

12:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am totally in love with this sweater. I just got my webs catalog today and immediatly went to Ravelry to search for it.
Unfortunately I am allergic to Angora so I'll be searching for a sub.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home