Skrilla Knits

Knitting has long been considered antiquated, something for grandmas and whipped little housewives. That just isn't true. Knitting is one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master deals, and I'm in it for the long haul.

10.06.2007

Venti!

The other day I finally had a tattoo touched up that I'd been meaning to fix for...oh...12 years now. Yes, that means I was 13 when I got this tattoo, my first. I was living in Germany and went with my mother to get it (long, sordid story). This is really the only picture I could find, it's a tiny lavender rose (barely visible):


Anyhow, it's better now! I love the three yellow pistils...stamen? Plant sex organs. I pretty much let the artist do his thing. It's slightly more open now (appropriate, I'm older, more in bloom) and has more thorns (also appropriate!). I asked for what I thought was an impossible color (light burgundy) but he pulled it off very well and updated the green, which was a very dated shade of jade. I was very impressed with the work (Timmy at Holeshot in Amherst).



In case you think I haven't been knitting...you're wrong. I'm still ignoring my Blood Orange cardigan (the yarn really resembles the flesh of a deliciously strange blood orange) but I've been churning out small projects here and there. I have three baby sweaters on the needles and a half finished Tilted Duster (all it needs is the skirt, a collar and buttons). BTW, Norah Gaughan is about to unveil a pretty bitchin' FO/WIP, keep your eyes peeled!



The color isn't anywhere online (a seller on eBay calls it "Abusar" but that isn't it's given name) and it reminds me of the main color of Reynolds Whiskey in Enid...my poor, ignored Enid. Maybe I can take that to Baltimore and finish the yoke in my hotel room? Working at Stitches always gives me a knit fit (like a nic fit...). It's puckering ever so slightly, some of the floats span 5+ stitches so I've been 'catching' them as I go in using directions from Montse Stanley's Handbook. I think it will block flat.




I finished Foliage, my first top-down hat. I'm blocking it on a dinner plate so it'll be more snood-ish. I love snoods! I double stranded Malabrigo Worsted in Bobby Blue. It reminds me of a vintage bathing cap and was a fun knit. I used twisted ribbing and bound-off purlwise, other than that no mods. Clearer pictures at Ravelry.


I made a few adorable and goofy coffee cardigans. These are wicked fun and I actually have been using it, it makes baristas smile. This is knit with Valley Yarns Superwash (LOVE how it looks knit at this tight gauge) and features three corozo nut buttons from the Creative Needle in Amherst, which happens to be owned by the mother-in-law of a professor in my department. I love corozo nut buttons almost as much as I love shell buttons. And Moving Mud buttons. And horn buttons. And...oh, I'm a button whore, are you surprised??



I just purchased a kit to make this Greek Deli version by Jennifer Reichert, it's hysterical! This embroidered grocery purse of hers is 2 parts hysterical, 8 parts amazing.

Brain food, mmmm....I don't eat much fruit but I loves my vegetables (this site makes me drool). I have many ways of preparing them so that they taste very, very decadent. This was today's lunch, an old favorite (recipe here):




My next treat is butternut squash roasted with maple syrup and cracked peppercorn (something about the hot/sweet combination is very soothing). I do a mashed cauliflower with cream and asiago that would make you disown potatoes forever.

Meet Irma the Owl, a friend who is staring sternly down from her perch. I met her at Starbucks where she was deeply discounted and deeply adorable. She looks like an Irma, and when I looked up that name I learned that it is an Old High German/Hoch Deutsch word for...word! Perfect patron (stuffed) saint for a communication scholar, no?




Speaking of that. I have a 12-page paper to write. Probably why I suddenly felt the urge to blog. I'm going to try to link the practice of blogging to early 20th-century language theories (using some key works from Saussure, Nietzsche, Boas, Sapir, Malinowski, Jakobson, and Bakhtin...among others).

WUNSCH MIR GLUCK, BITTE!

P.S. FYI, funniest Fug I've seen in awhile.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Anushka said...

Tattoo at thirteen! Ach, mein Gott! Eine Geschichte dass ich horen muss. I love that hat. Seriously, love it. I'm gonna have to make my own snoodish version of it too now.

Vielen Gluck usw.

4:33 PM  
Blogger moonbirdblue said...

Your picture of Foliage has made me fall in love with it. I've been looking for a hat that sits just like that (kind of baggy in the back - is that what a snood is?) Is that after blocking it and did you follow the pattern exactly? Oh, and that's a great tattoo for that area.

4:56 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

A tat at 13?!? You are one tough cookie.

Don't you just love the Malabrigo. It's like knitting with butta.

Amy

6:11 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

So much good stuff in this post. Thanks for all of the fabulous links, and for an update on your many knitting projects.

And OMG re: the tattoo! I'm 34 and I'm still too scared to get one, so I'll just continue to admire everyone else's.

Cheers, and good luck on the paper (...geesh, the heavy theorists are coming out to play...!)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Whoa - first tattoo at 13?! And that makes it sound like there have been subsequent tattoos...

Nora Gaughan is about to release more?! Her work is stunning. I have a book --- I just haven't made anything yet. I have been searching for just the right yarn for Chantal -- unsuccessfully thus far.

I love your flecky blue wool - gorgeous.

I can't believe those owls are already discounted - didn't they come out in like September?? I guess they have to make way for Halloween. Adorable at any rate. And she looks great atop a stack of books - whoo, the titles on some of those!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Tina - omme i London said...

I just love the colour of your tattoo! As for the owl - too cute. I would have had to have bought that too. :)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

13, huh? I get a kick out of that. I was 14, myself!I love your slouchy hat...

7:57 AM  
Blogger tina said...

Well the tattoo is great,a very nice freshening to be sure.

The knitting is wonderful, love that cute cozy---

but most importantly speak to me of the mashed cauliflower. I am insane for the stuff and would love you to share your recipe!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tatt looks nice. someone gave my son that exact starbucks owl, I'm just worried he'll pull of those flimsy little legs, so for now it stays up on a shelf.

9:48 AM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

Oh no, I absolutely have to cast on for that hat now. Yours is too cute, I need like ten of my own.

4:29 PM  
Blogger kelli ann said...

ooh. love your hat! is it your own pattern?

6:45 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Wow! You must be doing some serious procrastinating -- look at all the linkage in this post! I'll have to look out for new Norah knits -- I'm almost finished (finally) my Nantucket Jacket. I need buttons for it still so thanks for the ideas ...

12:40 PM  
Blogger s.i. michaels said...

You beat my story of being taken to get a tattoo by my mother at 16. 13? That's a fun mom.

And I'm loving Irma immensely.

1:16 PM  
Blogger jess said...

if only if only if ONLY i could will myself to like brussels sprouts!! maybe bacon is the key?

love your new hat - the photo is quite "love story."

- jess / figandplum

2:53 PM  
Blogger jess said...

ugh, why is that link to my sister's wedding blog???

- jess / figandplum (again)

2:54 PM  
Blogger maitai said...

it was good to meet you today at stitches! thanks for showing me your tattoo (which really isn't that bad!) :)

7:37 PM  
Blogger maitai said...

haha, then i guess it looks like i will never be wearing coachella unless i happen to find $3k sitting around so i can get myself a boob job!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home